Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is he doing the right thing?

(3 Posts)
LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Fri 09-Sep-11 23:32:28

DH received letter of potential redundancy today (was warned 2 days ago in person).
We are going on holiday abroad tomorrow. They are making the decision next week, so he hasn't had any time to sort out what to do, and won't be available for the consultation process.

It seems fairly clear that, out of the 2/8 leaving, he will be one. They are following correct procedure (or at least being seen to be doing so), but it is quite obvious that they want him to go. (Many reasons I say this, for eg. a colleague went to the boss to say if you offer me £XX(not much) I'll take VR Boss discounted out of hand. DH called him to ask if VR settlement might be negotiable, boss indicated it could be. Also office politics etc... all those who have been made redundant in the past have been close to DH.

So, he is considering VR but isn't sure if he should write a letter and send it tomorrow, or wait and see when they phone him with an offer on Monday, or just wait to see what the compulsory might lead to (statutory only we think).

Any advice?

Kayano Sat 10-Sep-11 00:40:39

If they are going to make him redundant anyway, why take VR? It means he can't claim any benefits for a while and if you have a redundancy protection thing on your morrtgage/ any debts you have you will null and void it taking VR instead of going through redundancy process and taking compulsory?

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Sat 10-Sep-11 00:47:15

Didn't make it to bed!

He will only take VR if they offer him more than the statutory payment. We don't have any redundancy protection on the mortgage or elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now