Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Who pays service charges?

(3 Posts)
lalalonglegs Fri 09-Sep-11 20:53:14

I am considering buying a flat at auction but, in the legal pack, there is a statement of unpaid service charges which mounts up to several thousand pounds. If I were to buy, would I be liable for those?

grumplestilskin Fri 09-Sep-11 20:56:27

wouldn't that put the ownership into question (i.e. the freeholder could take steps to take it back?)

grumplestilskin Fri 09-Sep-11 20:59:42

because I lived somewhere where one leaseholder wasn't paying, the rest of the leasholders wanted the freeholder to evict them (for other reasons too, bu the non payment was the most sturdy reason) but it apparently costs a lot for freeholders to do that so instead the freeholder just didn't maintain the building as not everyone had paid up. The non payer didn't care and the rest of us (and the building) suffered :-(

IMO if it has been allowed to accumulate the freeholder may not be very attentive. Where I live now the freeholder has evicted a leaseholder who seriously broke the contract/lease, which I find reassuring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now