Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any legal obligation post divorce?

(9 Posts)
GinandChocolate Wed 07-Sep-11 23:24:40

My exH has had a tax demand which relates to the period while we were separated but still married. He is claiming I benefited from my share of the increased net amount as all earnings at this time were split 50:50 and he is asking for me to pay half of the tax demand.

Does anyone know if I have any legal obligations?

Collaborate Thu 08-Sep-11 00:13:31

Presumably you're divorced as you call him your ex.

Did you get a financial settlement and a court order?

The short answer to your question is no. You were separated, so if he spent all his income then tough, but it might be a liability that might be taken into account by any judge dealing with the financial split.

GinandChocolate Thu 08-Sep-11 00:49:46

Thanks for responding. Yes we are divorced and there was a financial agreement and a court order.

The tax is owed on a one off payment and it looks as though his employer got the calculation wrong.

This payment wasn't really taken into account in the financial settlement but it was joint earnings used to pay joint liabilities while we were married but separated so as he sees it I got half of the too big amount so I should pay half of the tax.

oranges Thu 08-Sep-11 00:58:22

no, you are not liable.

GinandChocolate Thu 08-Sep-11 17:53:21

Thanks oranges and Collaborate. I didn't think I would be legally liable. No doubt I will be hearing why it is my moral responsibility to pay.

mumblechum1 Fri 09-Sep-11 17:32:43

There should be a clause towards the end of your consent order dismissing any potential claims against one another in the future.

babybarrister Sat 10-Sep-11 11:17:43

agree with all the above save for one issue - is the tax demand just in his name or connected with a company in which you were involved? I say this as I know a case in which ex w had to pay half tax after divorce as it emanated from co in which she had been a shareholder with ex H and it had not been wrapped up properly

GinandChocolate Sun 11-Sep-11 09:44:43

Tax demand is in his name. We were never involved in any company together. Tax relates to a miscalculation by his previous employer.

He has moved on to tell me I am morally obliged to pay half.

babybarrister Sun 11-Sep-11 09:48:20

well that is down to you then but no legal obligation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now