Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House purchase, solicitor hasnt retained £££

(7 Posts)
sillymillysmummy Wed 07-Sep-11 20:58:36

I moved house around 6 weeks ago, whilst purchasing my new house we found out that it required rewiring, the vendor agreed that they would pay an amount as a maintenence agreement (we have this in writing from the estate agent) our mortgage lender would not agree to this 'maintenence' money so our solicitor told me he would draw up a ryder to the contract and hold the money in an escrow account to be released to our electrician on completion of the works, this was done on the telephone. I have contacted the solicitors today, after having booked the work to be done, to see how we went about getting the money released, and, it appears they havent retained the money!!! Can anyone give me any advice as to how to handle this?

plupervert Wed 07-Sep-11 22:13:56

Sue the buggers?

prh47bridge Thu 08-Sep-11 00:16:39

If they haven't retained the money what have they done with it?

sillymillysmummy Thu 08-Sep-11 08:20:12

Another solicitor in the group was acting for the vendors sale. Sounds like they gave it back to the vendor rather than retaining it.

minibmw2010 Thu 08-Sep-11 08:34:03

Ok well it sounds like it's time to either sue or threaten to sue your solicitors.

Collaborate Thu 08-Sep-11 09:20:17

You should make a complaint initially to your solicitors. They should notify you promptly of their complaints procedure. Initially the complaint is likely to get dealt with by the fee earner involved, but if you're unhappy with their response you'll be able to take it further to their complaints handling partner.

Only if you've gone that far and are still dissatisfied can you then complain to the Legal Ombudsman.

Sounds like they've cocked it up. They should ensure that you're not out of pocket in any way. I'd exect them to remedy it pretty quick.

sillymillysmummy Thu 08-Sep-11 17:39:19

Well amazing they have 'found' the money. On a ledger somewhere apparently that they hadn't checked. Phew

Thanks for everyone's input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now