Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Building society have lost the house title deeds and they are leaving me to hunt them down !

(2 Posts)
catpark Mon 05-Sep-11 10:51:47

Basically paid my mortgage of a few weeks back. Building society asked if I wanted them to keep the title deeds or return them to me. I said return to me. Have heard nothing so phoned them. Got told that they don't know were the deeds are, they might have sent them to the solicitor I used when i bought the house or they might be in land registry. So I have to hunt them down myself.
The solicitor we used has told me the building society i used stopped keeping deeds a few years ago and had given them to lawyers/solicitors etc. (So why did they offer to keep them for me If they no longer do this ?) But we should have been informed as we would have had to sign a legal document as the deeds were being transferred out of the building society to somewere else. We never got told anything about the deeds being put somewere else. Surely this is a breach of data protection or something ?
The solicitor is going to check their files for them, but i'm raging about the building society.

mumblechum1 Mon 05-Sep-11 12:30:16

It honestly doesn't matter, the paper deeds are irrelevant as your ownership of the house will be registered at the Land Registry. You can obtain a copy of the only important document (Office Copy Entries) from the LR for £4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now