Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

how old before a child can travel in front seat?

(5 Posts)
Bronte Fri 02-Sep-11 17:55:04

I see lots of parents ferrying their children in front seats with child sat in booster seat.
Is this legal? I thought a child had to reach a certain height before they could sit in the front seat ...not be boosted to an artificial height. someone in the know please clarify.

ivykaty44 Fri 02-Sep-11 17:57:17

height or age - though can't remember what age it is or which height. Differs between EU countries and not sure worldwide..?

BertieBotts Fri 02-Sep-11 18:02:30

No age limit in UK - babies can go in the front from birth if you are able to turn the airbags off (or if the car doesn't have them) - once a child is in a forward facing seat (which legally can be as soon as they reach 9kg - for babies on the highest percentile, this is around 4 or 5 months! Though hopefully nobody would actually recommend this) they can go in the front seat even if there is an active airbag.

BertieBotts Fri 02-Sep-11 18:03:03

Or height limit. Other countries do have restrictions though.

sneezecakesmum Sat 03-Sep-11 13:46:42

I had an idea its around 12 but not sure where i remember this from. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now