Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Return to Work - What are my Rights?

(2 Posts)
charlie277 Thu 01-Sep-11 11:00:21

I've just returned to work after having just over 12 months off and confirmed with my company I would return to my old role. They didn't advise otherwise so I turned up on my first day expecting my maternity cover to hand things over but she's still in the role. My boss wants to keep her on in some capacity so is extending her placement and has told us to 'work things out' till the new headcount comes in in a couple of months. She is desperate to stay in my role so is handing nothing over, keeping back information and is generally making life difficult (hasn't even given my desk and phone back). There is some travel required in the role and she has been telling my management I can't possibly do this role anymore with a baby. I can manage travel but aren't being given the chance to show I can still do my job but unfortunately they seem to believe her. There is only one permanent position at the moment and it's mine (she's still on secondment from another department) so surely she needs to hand the job over until such a time when another role has been created. I feel completely helpless, totally emasculated and don't know what my rights are. Any tips appreciated.

nocake Thu 01-Sep-11 13:44:55

Your company are required to give you a job in a similar role and on the same terms and conditions. They aren't required to give you exactly the same job.

It sounds like you need to raise the issue with your manager and HR. They are opening themselves up for an accusation of constructive dismissal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now