Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Working Family Tax Credit - claiming for someone else's son

(8 Posts)
GillH1966 Tue 30-Aug-11 20:58:12

Hi, I new to all this, and was hoping that someone could give me some advice. My 17 year old son recently left home and is staying with a friend, his friends Mum wants to claim working family tax credit/child tax credits for him (from what I have seen she can't as she is not legally responsible for him) but I would appreciate any advice on the legalities of this. Thanks Gill

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 31-Aug-11 13:28:30

You might be better to repost in the Legal forum. But I think you're right.

SageMist Wed 31-Aug-11 17:04:37

However if he's still in education, she might be able to get child benefit.

Gill, my DS did this when he was 16. Very very upsetting for me. He didn't speak to me for 6 months. Hope you are OK.

SageMist Wed 31-Aug-11 17:06:32

Should add that this was 10 years ago. DS has since grown in to a lovely man and we see each other often. In fact he's coming over for tea this evening.

Collaborate Wed 31-Aug-11 18:15:55

If he's in school she can claim child benefit, which opens the door to tax credits (and CSA!).

GillH1966 Thu 01-Sep-11 13:54:42

Thank you all for your support and advice it is much appreciated.

floatyjosmum Thu 01-Sep-11 22:25:52

collaborate is righht, if she puts in a claim for child benefit all the additional benefits will follow

RebelFromTheWaistDown Thu 01-Sep-11 22:30:04

You are right.

Your friend can't claim child benefit for your child unless she becomes legally responsible for him.

No child benefit - no tax credits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: