Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Taking someone to small claims court

(6 Posts)
tranquilitygardens Sat 27-Aug-11 13:37:39

What can you take someone to small clamis court for?

MotherPanda Sat 27-Aug-11 13:39:39

I've only ever heard of it being used for rent really.

GeneralDisarray Sat 27-Aug-11 13:41:54

Money owed, tradesman as well I think

lindsell Sat 27-Aug-11 13:42:06

It's for any claim with a financial
value of under £5000 or if it's a personal
Injury claim then a financial value of under £1000.

GeneralDisarray Sat 27-Aug-11 13:42:13


prh47bridge Sat 27-Aug-11 17:59:57

It is actually the small claims track rather than the small claims court although it is frequently referred to by the latter name. It can deal with any financial claim of up to £5000 unless the case is particularly complex. As lindsell says, if the case includes a claim for personal injury it will only be allocated to the small claims track if the personal injury element is less than £1000. It is commonly used for claims relating to faulty goods or services and disputes between landlords and tenants but it is not limited to that type of case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: