Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Disclosure to new employer

(5 Posts)
Anyothername Wed 17-Aug-11 19:20:35

I'm filling in a security questionnaire for a new job. It's with an ordinary company, not one that would require a particular level of security clearance. The questionnaire is asking me if I have any criminal convictions and if I have any proceedings pending that could result in a conviction. Can anyone tell me if they are allowed to ask for this information?

AnnoyingOrange Wed 17-Aug-11 19:27:30

some info here

vj32 Wed 17-Aug-11 20:50:14

It is usual for some jobs - eg. I had a relative who works in IT. His company happened to have a contract working on systems for a central government department, so he had to have security clearance - really long complex form apparently, asking about him and any family who lived with him.

hermioneweasley Wed 17-Aug-11 20:54:10

Yes perfectly lawful provided they don't use a spent conviction to discriminate

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Thu 25-Aug-11 16:48:09

Hermione - according to the link given by AnnoyingOrange if a conviction is spent and the job is not an exempted occupation, the OP can answer "no" if asked if they have a criminal record and they cannot be dismissed if the employer finds out about the spent conviction later.

So, they can ask but you don't have to tell them about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now