Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

property access

(5 Posts)
Smellslikecatpee Sun 14-Aug-11 15:59:43

Hi OH and his brother own a house as tenants in common,
BIL has not allowed OH access to the house for a while (long story, more suited to relationships)
Anyway does anyone know (a) if OH can demand access (b) how can he do this?
Would the police be involved? Could the police be involved (BIL is a bit of a headcase, wouldn’t put it past him to be violent. Has happened in the past. OH is well able to look after himself, but violence is not the answer!)
Or who would be best? OH wants to access the house as he still has some stuff there and we’re a bit worried about what BIL is actually doing in the house, , , ,

Blueberties Sun 14-Aug-11 16:08:28

Lawyers I think. I hope you get lots of answers because it seems outrageous but your title is really boring and sounds like it's about a side return or some such.

Gonzo33 Mon 15-Aug-11 10:20:15

Your BIL cannot refuse access to the property if he is on the mortgage and deeds. If your BIL has changed the locks and not given your OH a set of keys he is breaking the law.

Collaborate Mon 15-Aug-11 11:46:44

He can use reasonable force to gain access, but must repair any damage caused. Also he would be comitting an offence under the 1977 Crime Act if the brother (or someone else) is in the property at the time.

Smellslikecatpee Tue 16-Aug-11 08:47:21

Thanks all, OH off to see about legal advice today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: