Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Are both parents required to attend Contact Hearing?

(3 Posts)
slinky01 Sat 13-Aug-11 18:03:35

My ex is American and lives in the USA.

He's taking me to court for a contact order even though he's never been denied access to dd.

I was under the impression firstly that I needed to be summonsed within 15 days of the court hearing and secondly that both parents need to attend. Neither one of these has or will happen.

Thanks for any advice offered.

STIDW Sat 13-Aug-11 20:10:28

It may take a little time for solicitor to apply on behalf of your ex and the courts are busy at this time year because of disputes about holidays so there may be some delay. A date for the first hearing is usually 6-8 weeks after the court receives the application and you must be served at least 14 days before.

What exactly do you mean when you say that you won't be served within 15 days of the court hearing and both parents won't attend? It is possible for a solicitor to represent your ex and for him to give evidence via video conferencing if the court agrees. On the other hand there are measures the court can take if you are intending to avoid service and not attend.

slinky01 Sun 14-Aug-11 10:18:06

I only found out about the court hearing because Cafcass sent me a letter about interviewing me in respect of the application. I haven't heard anything from my ex's solicitors and it's now 14 days prior to the hearing date (which is right in the middle of my holiday with dd and something my ex has known about for several months).

He definitely won't be here but if they can do video conference then fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now