Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Jury Service - what if you have small DCs?

(8 Posts)
TheseThingsAreGoodThings Wed 10-Aug-11 16:32:52

Anyone else been called up for Jury Service and have very small children?

Did you manage to defer or get an exemption?

I will fill in the form to let them know that with 2 pre-schoolers and no childcare that Jury Service will be very difficult,

But would like an idea of my chances to get off this.

Its such a shame becuase I have allways wanted to do Jury Service smile

mustdash Wed 10-Aug-11 16:38:32

That happened to me, I think DDs were 4,2 and 1 at the time, and I was excused. I just filled in the form saying that I could not get childcare. Which was true - it wasn't that I was trying to get out of it.

Collaborate Wed 10-Aug-11 16:57:51

I got excused as I would have lost so much money through not being paid that I wouldn't have had enough coming in to pay my usual contribution to the bills that month. They'll let you off.

Catslikehats Wed 10-Aug-11 17:03:48

It depends where you are how much of a problem they are having getting jurors. Plenty of courts wont allow you to defer just because of childcare and none will give you an exemption.

BigHairyGruffalo Wed 10-Aug-11 18:28:58

They pay child care costs, so unless your children can't be without you (for example- if you're breastfeeding) you should be fine. Best to call them and speak to them about it.

MindtheGappp Wed 10-Aug-11 18:47:28

If everyone will small children get exempted, they won't be able to make up balanced juries.

rockinhippy Thu 18-Aug-11 10:59:44

Not with DCs, but I managed to get an excusal because I was self employed & had a order to get out - it wasn't really a big deal, but it was at the Old Bailey & having just sat in on a panel of Jurors up to be chosen by defendant & had the case details read out realised I could be there for a VERY long haul, which as interesting as it might have been I didn't want to waste that much time - so I went & spoke with the Clerk of Court, who despite my not really having the best of reasons as I did have staff at the time, was very understanding & excused me completely smile - so I would advise speaking with the the Clerk of Court & laying it on thick about your worries about leaving such young DCs for an unknown length of time - I'm sure you'll be let off

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Thu 18-Aug-11 11:38:48

You'll be fine, I was summoned a year or so ago and said, truthfully, I was self employed and had two small dcs and no alternative childcare. They'll excuse you, don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now