Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Why am I not supposed to date letting agreement?

(6 Posts)
stinkyfluffycat Wed 10-Aug-11 11:14:49

I'm renewing my tenancy for another year in the same flat, no change to rent/occupants/anything else, and the landlord's agent has sent the usual renewal agreement for us to sign and return to them.

They've asked us to sign it and post it back to them, but they've put PLEASE DO NOT DATE in big bold letters, despite there being a place on the form where you're supposed to put the date next to your signature

I doubt there is anything dodgy going on, but why do they not want us to put the date?

NoMoreWasabi Wed 10-Aug-11 11:18:19

Two potential reasons.

First the document itself can't be dated later than the date the last person signs. So if the LL hasn't signed yet you can't date the document.

Second the extention would normally be dated the first date it takes effect which presumably isn't yet.

baabaapinksheep Wed 10-Aug-11 11:19:37

Assuming you are renewing from the beginning of September? In which case it will need to be dated closer to the date (no more than two weeks before I think)

Collaborate Wed 10-Aug-11 11:21:54

They don't need a new tenancy agreement unless you both want to be tied for the duration of the new term. Also means they can't put up the rent in that period.

The "do not date" stuff is all quite normal. In a covering letter tell them what date you want it to be (must give them a chance to sign it first though).

stinkyfluffycat Wed 10-Aug-11 11:42:13

Thank you all - landlord hasn't signed it yet so that makes sense, and it is from Sept so that's also a possible.
Didn't think anything odd was going on, just found it a bit strange that 'DO NO DATE' was right next to the space on the form saying 'sign & date'.

Off to soft - play hell now...

dilbar Sat 13-Aug-11 12:22:26

I think it's a bit strange too. I am a Landlord and don't use an agent so we have just let our 6 month tenancy agreement run on to a periodic one. We have to give 2 months notice, tenant one month. I wonder if it is in the agent's interest to do a new agreement to be able to charge again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now