Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

legal aid lawyer & divorce petition

(8 Posts)
rita2007 Sun 07-Aug-11 21:21:51

hi all,
i started proceeding or a petition with a legal aid lawyer after years of trying with my husband but just as the lawyer got the letter ready to send to him, he decided to go to counselling together - so i withdrew the application.

does anyone know if my lawyer would have got paid still even though the petition was not released? I just feel a bit bad for her doing all the work and maybe not getting any money for it, so wondering if i should get her vouchers or something to say sorry.

anyone know how it works?

many thanks

Collaborate Mon 08-Aug-11 00:57:00

Your solicitor will get paid £96.

rita2007 Mon 08-Aug-11 02:03:06

how do u get to that figure? does she not get paid for her time at all?

prh47bridge Mon 08-Aug-11 09:51:00

That's what legal aid pays in this situation. It is a fixed fee regardless of hours worked.

Collaborate Mon 08-Aug-11 10:12:26

Fat cat lawyers huh? If the divorce goes all the way the solicitor will, if acting for the petitioner, get £162. That's for about 5 hours work. And that goes to the solicitor's firm, to pay for office space, consumables, services and typing.

You know, I'll be glad when they do abolish legal aid for this.

rita2007 Mon 08-Aug-11 13:08:49

in that case, i better buy a £50 M&S voucher to send her with a card. I feel bad for jerking her around but at same time, its my life and i dont want to just make such a decision if its not clear..... damn husband should have gone to counselling earlier instead of waiting until the last minute. things still aren't great but I just cant move fwd and feel comfortable at this point.

mumofsussex Tue 09-Aug-11 20:02:34

rita, nice thought but not sure that is necessary. You do know she is still getting paid a salary don't you and doesn't get paid per client/case etc (unless of course she is sole practioner or partner etc)

Good luck with counselling

ZillionChocolate Tue 09-Aug-11 20:53:07

It's very nice of you to worry about how much legal aid pays, I don't think many people do. I'm sure she'd be delighted with a thank you card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now