Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Who's responsible for this child?

(14 Posts)
ItsTooBad Sat 06-Aug-11 09:56:23

Please can someone tell me about this:

A 16 year old moved out of home and into family X's house during the summer holidays, with the intention of going to 6th Form College in September. Family X have a lot of people living in their small house including a 21 year old son. The 16 year old is now engaged to the 21 year old son of family X and is cohabitating with him. They share a bedroom within family X's house.

Who would be financially responsible for the 16 year old? Her parents still, despite that she's moved out to live independently of her own family? Is she officially an adult in terms of financial need, can she claim housing benefit/living expenses from the DWP over the summer holidays in order to provide for herself and to pay rent to family X?

Or is it the family she's moved in with who are financially responsible for her just as their parents would be if she had remained living at home? Or is she now the financial responsibility of the man she's engaged to and living with within family X's house in the eyes of the law, DWP and housing benefits departments?


rainbowtoenails Sat 06-Aug-11 10:21:51

It is very hard for 16 and 17yos to claim benefits. She isnt available for ft work so cant get jsa. You also cant get hb to pay to partner's relatives. Really she needs to either be supported by her bf or move back home.

ItsTooBad Sat 06-Aug-11 10:24:13

Thank you. The BF will have to take responsibility in this case then, or if not his family I suppose.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sat 06-Aug-11 10:27:50

Op is this a follow on from an orginal thread?

ItsTooBad Sat 06-Aug-11 10:45:33

No, it's not a follow on thread.

TheMonster Sat 06-Aug-11 10:47:07

At 16 she is old enought to have got a summer job and pay towards her keep.

sneezecakesmum Sat 06-Aug-11 11:28:14

She would still get child benefit til she is 18 if she is in non advanced education eg enrolled into a 6th form college for A levels. Her parents would be collecting this still and they should in fairness give it to their daughter. If her parents are claiming child tax credits they should not get them on behalf of the child.

Her parents have parental responsibility for their daughter, but this is a difficult scenario as she is in a relationship and is housed.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sat 06-Aug-11 11:41:09

The reason I asked is if not it might be worth searching. There was a thread a month or two ago where a 16 year old girl had been kicked out and the boyfriends mum came on asking for advice.

Sorry I can't do it for you am on my phone.

ItsTooBad Sat 06-Aug-11 12:41:06

Thank you LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn. I'll have a search for that. If anyone remembers the thread and can link to it I'd be very grateful too.

allthefires Sat 06-Aug-11 16:19:15

The boyfriends parents could claim child benefit and tax credits for her.

Collaborate Sat 06-Aug-11 21:28:01

Whoever gets the child benefit can get CSA maintenance from BOTH parents.

RavenVonChaos Sun 07-Aug-11 14:56:15

Birth parents need to stop claiming child benefit for her. If she is estranged from her parents she can claim Income Support in her own right. She would also be entitled to support from the local authority if she presents at housing. Legally she could also ask to be looked after under section 20 of children act.

allthefires Sun 07-Aug-11 14:58:03

However as she is living with her boyfriend the above doesn't apply.

allthefires Sun 07-Aug-11 14:58:35

Except the housing bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now