Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Final Financial Settlement in Court - what is likely to happen?

(3 Posts)
sneezecakesmum Fri 05-Aug-11 22:14:20

BIL (separated from EXP (never married)) Had his initial 15 minute hearing today regarding the division of a jointly owned property. His solicitor successfully avoided mediation on the grounds of ExPs unreasonable behaviour. They both have 3 weeks to submit witness statements to the court before the final ruling. This final settlement has been estimated to take up a whole day!

Anyone have any ideas what takes place during this period? ExP is self repping, and submitted a pack of lies which BIL was not allowed to challenge as she put her witness statement in late (!) and too late for BIL to submit a reply.

I suppose his solicitor will ask him to submit proof regarding the mortgage etc.
What else? Any experience?

tranquilitygardens Mon 08-Aug-11 15:53:23

Can I ask why you are involving yourself in your bil's court case if he has a solicitor? Are you planning on getting a divorce yourself? or just being nosey?

sneezecakesmum Mon 08-Aug-11 21:39:41

Be nosy if you like, I am! Nothing special really known BIL for many years and feel so sorry for the way he has been treated by ExP and DH and I are just giving him as much support as possible as ExP won't let his DD speak to him - took her phone away, is awful to her if she tries to see dad, etc. He just had no one and was sleeping in his workshop over winter as she chucked him out and moved new bf in.

btw BIL met an old next door neighbour today from 15 years ago. She divorced her H - found out today it was because he was shagging ExP. shock To say she is a whore is to denigrate ladies of the night. lol !!!

BIL was very underwhelmed by his solicitor in court as the judge was super nice to the exP and horrible to his solicitor who didn't seem to have a ready grasp of the facts sad He is trying to persuade me to be his McKenzie friend and leave the solicitor out of it except to prepare the case!!! (not sack her)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now