Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Housing Association repair question

(5 Posts)
TheFeministsWife Tue 02-Aug-11 21:38:57

We live in HA, and it is a bit unusual as it is a new build property. We've lived here for 3 years. We were allocated this house as the house we were living in (privately rented - lived there for 6 years) had a compulsory purchase order from the council and was due to be demolished. All great and have no complaints about our new house.

The new house had an already built in oven/grill and hob so we had to leave our old cooker behind. Stupidly we didn't send off the 5 year guarantee for the cooker when we moved in as we thought any cooker repairs would be covered by the HA. We were wrong! sad The grill stopped working last week (I know in the grand scheme of things this is not a biggie it's just a bit of PITA). So I rang the HA to get it repaired. Was told they don't repair "white goods" and after going round in circles a bit an explaining the cooker came with the house was told that there was a 1 year guarantee on the cooker and that had now expired so we would have to pay to have it fixed.

Is this right? I've looked at my tenancy agreement and there's nothing in there about repairing "white goods" as it's just a generic tenancy agreement and HA don't usually provide things like cookers. Have been quoted £120 call out charge (cheapest so far) and that's just the call out doesn't include the repairs or parts. shock There's no way we can afford that. (You could probably buy a second hand cooker for that - which is what we would do if it was a free standing one). We think it's only the element that has gone as the oven still works (oven/grill combi) but this can't be bought separately so there's no way to DIY.

Are the HA right that they don't have to cover the cooker repairs? My argument being I had a perfectly good cooker that I had to leave behind when we were moved here, again no real choice in being moved either - although this house is much much better than our old one, and normally I wouldn't complain. We very lucky to get a new build house at HA rents, but this has pissed me off!

TheFeministsWife Tue 02-Aug-11 21:39:40

That should be we live in a HA house, that'll teach me to preview in future! blush

nocake Wed 03-Aug-11 12:36:48

You should speak to CAB or Shelter and check your tenancy agreement but I think the landlord is responsible for the maintenance of any electrical applicances they supply.

acatcalledfelix Wed 03-Aug-11 12:45:54

I'd tend to agree with no in that they're your landlord so should probably pay for the repair. but best to check with CAB so you've got back up.

TheFeministsWife Wed 03-Aug-11 18:06:22

Thanks, I will check will CAB. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now