Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

just pranged car...

(8 Posts)
NewYorkBellini Wed 27-Jul-11 19:28:24

my fault, tried to get into a too small parking space and dented the door on the thing where you park trollies <eejit>

anyway, only bought this car last week and as i haven't yet sold my old car my usual insurance is still covering that car, iam insured on the new car for 7 days free (insurance from the dealer so i could drive the car away)

this insurance runs out tomorrow.

my question is, once i switch my insurance to my new car (when i;ve sold the old one, hopefully tonight) can i claim on this insurance? I would wait a couple of days then say i had the prang. i want to do this because the excess is lower and the insurance from the dealer is much more expensive.

does this make sense? confused

tallulah Wed 27-Jul-11 19:32:27

Makes sense but is illegal.

NewYorkBellini Wed 27-Jul-11 19:34:19

aaah right. if i claim on the free insurance will i have to carry on with this insurance? its £20 a month more expensive than my old one.

AMumInScotland Wed 27-Jul-11 20:01:27

No you can still stop the insurance on the planned date, even if you are in the middle of a claim on it. It only matters that this was the policy which was covering that car on the date of the accident.

NewYorkBellini Wed 27-Jul-11 20:03:18

ok thanks

NewYorkBellini Thu 28-Jul-11 11:16:04

bugger, the excess on this "free" insurance is £500 which i didn't realise angry and now that i've told them about the acident i can't just take up there insurance quote and use the excess on that which is £250.

i am a numpty sad

NewYorkBellini Thu 28-Jul-11 11:16:34

their idiot

Danthe4th Fri 29-Jul-11 17:29:59

I would get the cheapest quote and pay up without claiming as it may cost you more in the long run unless you have no claims cover on the temp insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now