Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Neighbours have placed their washing line directly outside my bedroom window...

(4 Posts)
chickorita Wed 27-Jul-11 16:57:16

I live on the ground floor of a purpose built block of flats, that has a communal area to the rear.

The neighbours that live above me have placed their washing line directly outside my bedroom window. It's approximately 60 cm away from my window, so that if I was inclined to reach out and touch their washing, I could!

So, my question is, can I request that they move their washing line either further away from my window, or take it away altogether?

I have to add that their washing doesn't smell so fresh, so on a warm or windy day, I get eau de wee wafting into my bedroom.

TheMonster Wed 27-Jul-11 17:03:42

I would contact the freeholder (is it a local authority?). Where I used to live you could only put washing lines out if they were at least 2m from the building.

chickorita Thu 28-Jul-11 11:36:23

Thanks. I think a 2m rule is a very good idea. There seems to be absolutely no guide lines here whatsoever.

I just wondered if I could ask them to remove it on the grounds that it could be construed as an invasion of privacy to some extent - given how close it is situated to my window.

Collaborate Fri 29-Jul-11 17:17:56

You could try asking them nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now