Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Quick question on transfer documents for land registry

(3 Posts)
northerngoldilocks Tue 26-Jul-11 10:56:02

i wondered if anyone could help me with a quick question on a residential property transfer document for the land registry. It's part of the probate on my grandfathers estate. The company dealing with this has been incredibly slow and made multiple errors along the way so I wanted to check their latest request.

The letter states that it is necessary to see either original ID or certified copies for each party to a transfer of property and in order for copies to be certified, this must be done by a solicitor.

I wondered if anyone knew if the bit about certifying by a solicitor was correct pls or whether it should be possible for other professionals, ie someone who is a member of a professional body such as an accountant to certify the copies?

Appreciate any help on this.


ElbowFan Tue 26-Jul-11 11:26:31

Why not phone the Land Registry?

mumblechum1 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:39:53

The ID does need to be certified by a solicitor. I do certified copies all the time, I need to see the actual photo ID to identify the person, plus proof of address (utility bill or bank statement), then stamp and sign the photocopy to certify that it's a true copy of the original.

Most solicitors will charge a fiver or tenner to do certified copies.

The solicitors who are dealing with the probate should have ID on file but may not necessarily have kept certified copies but worth calling to ask them to save yourself a few quid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: