Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Will this affect chances of working with children?

(6 Posts)
HeavensToBertie Thu 21-Jul-11 15:16:18

Am hoping be enrolled onto a teacher training course next year.

Was given a caution for possession of cannabis 14 years ago (as a stupid mouthy teenager). Have moved on from stupid mouthy teenager days but was wondering if this would appear on a CRB check? If so, would there be any point in applying for the course?

vj32 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:35:29

Its difficult to know if it will appear. You could ask these people as they might be able to give you a clear answer. They are called Nacro and work with ex-offenders so should be up to date on the law:

Worried about a criminal record? Call our Resettlement Plus Helpline
on 020 7840 6464 helpline@nacro.org.uk Monday–Friday 9am–5pm

You could also ring the uni you want to apply to and ask for advice - ring the specific department ie PGCE not just the general number. It will not prevent you becoming a teacher, unless it was something more than you suggest, or unless it does come up on CRB and you are considered to have knowingly tried to cover it up.

SeenButNotHeard Thu 21-Jul-11 18:30:56

Be honest about this in your application - do not wait for the caution to come up on your enhanced CRB check and it is far less likely to have an impact on you getting onto your course.

FWIW - I know two teachers who have cautions for possession of cannabis and it did not effect them getting places on courses, or subsequent job applications.

Good Luck!

prh47bridge Thu 21-Jul-11 20:41:55

If you were given a caution it should appear on your enhanced CRB check. However, as SeenButNotHeard says, that does not mean it will bar you from becoming a teacher. Be honest and up front about it and I'm sure you will be fine.

JustAnotherSod Sun 24-Jul-11 00:45:35

I'd echo that also - the LEA is used to work for would take a dim view of any ofences which were not declared by the applicant and subsequently came to light on the CRB check - even more so than those who stated any offences initially.

sneezecakesmum Sun 24-Jul-11 20:20:07

Agree with all the above, it will probably show on the Enhanced CRB check. But it is so minor, I bet 90% of teachers have smoked a joint, along with ex president Clinton. Just prempt it and make light of the matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now