Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Getting separated versus getting divorced

(6 Posts)
seasaw Mon 11-Jul-11 17:00:46

H and I are getting divorced. I would be happy to be separated for the next 2 years and then file the divorce as the separation is amicable.

However, I do wonder. If we are divorced, there is a clear cut financially between us. If we 'just' get separated for the next 2 years, does it mean that I (he) will still be responsible for his (my) debts contracted after the separation? In the same way, if I (he) get quite a lot of money (pay out from work, inheritance) does it mean he (I) will get half of it?

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 17:08:42

You need to have a professionally drafted separation agreement which will be binding on both of you so long as you provide full financial disclosure and both take independent financial advice.

The only thing a sep. agreement can't provide is a pension sharing order but you can still express what has been agreed, and then within the divorce proceedings sign a consent order reflecting what will by that time be a historical agreement, but crucially including a pension sharing order which can only be implemented once the consent order is sealed by the court and you have your decree absolute.

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 17:09:06

Sorry, I mean independent legal advice

seasaw Mon 11-Jul-11 18:40:43

OK that makes sense. I though that, if we were not doing things with some sort of leagl biding, it could ebcome an issue.

I would imagine it's still cheaper route than the whole diovorce procedings straight away?

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 19:52:59

Yes, it should be if it's reasonably amicable. I usually estimate 5 hours work to deal with a separation deed, assuming there is a fair bit of arguing. Less if you've already thrashed it out in principle.

seasaw Mon 11-Jul-11 20:30:20

Great! Thank for the info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now