Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I go to the police?

(3 Posts)
MH123 Fri 08-Jul-11 09:19:15

My XP is systematically going round all my friends (and others I suspect) and telling them that I am a thief and other stuff (I am not).
I have some of the texts that have been sent and a copy of an email saying bad things about me. None of the things said are true at all.

Can I go to the police about this or do I have to get my own solicitor to do it (not an option as I can't afford it)?

If I go to the police will they take it seriously? This is causing me such stress and anxiety I cant sleep because of it.

Collaborate Fri 08-Jul-11 09:22:51

Tell them that this conduct amounts to harrassment that is contrary to the Protection from Harrassment Act. If they agree, they should give him a written warning. If he persists, then he's comitted a crime.

You can also apply for a civil injunction too, but unless you qualify for legal aid, or can represent yourself, it will cost between £1500-2000 IME.

MH123 Fri 08-Jul-11 09:25:36

Thank you, I will not qualify for legal aid but I will go and talk to the police now I know something can be done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: