Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Someone has told my friend she's not allowed to look after her grandchild while her step-daughter goes to work

(13 Posts)
NotActuallyAMum Mon 04-Jul-11 15:20:46

She has her one day a week, all day, she's 2. Someone has told her that she's meant to be a registered childminder

Surely that can't be right?

flipthefrog Mon 04-Jul-11 15:21:41

i think half the working population couldn't work if that were the case!

Hulababy Mon 04-Jul-11 15:23:37

Grandparents do not have to be registered.

suzikettles Mon 04-Jul-11 15:24:24

Nope. Wrong.

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Mon 04-Jul-11 15:27:08

Of course she can look after her. She can't do it for money though.

whyohwine Mon 04-Jul-11 15:27:11

are they trying to say that the rules for grandparents do not apply in this case because she is "only" a "step" grandparent? No idea if this makes a difference. Is she being paid?

NotActuallyAMum Mon 04-Jul-11 15:27:44

Thanks very much ladies, I knew someone on here would know grin

NotActuallyAMum Mon 04-Jul-11 15:30:50

whyohwine yes I think that's what she was getting at - because she's strictly speaking not the child's grandparent

Don't know if she gets paid (don't like to ask) but I'd be very, very surprised if she. Would be prepared to bet she's doing it for nothing

NotActuallyAMum Mon 04-Jul-11 15:32:22

Very, very surprised if she does (get paid)

lisad123 Mon 04-Jul-11 15:39:13

only if shes being paid in money or gifts smile

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 04-Jul-11 15:40:05

Step grandparents are still regarded as a close family member. She does not need to be registered.

Of course if she is not getting paid it doesn;t matter anyway.

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Mon 04-Jul-11 15:40:12

You can of course give a grandparent some cash to help with expenses or whatever - what you couldn't do would be to claim this as a childcare expense. This produces the irony that an unemployed granny cannot be paid to look after her own grandchild while her daughter goes to work/college - baby must instead be sent to a stranger while granny stays on benefits!

NotActuallyAMum Mon 04-Jul-11 15:48:35

Sounds like she's OK then, thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now