Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Jury duty and breastfeeding,

(12 Posts)
Medee Sat 02-Jul-11 18:21:46

Hello, looking for some advice please. I've received a notice of potential to be called for jury duty, with a form to complete to confirm I am eligible or to declare a reason either by right or on special grounds for excusal. I have a 3 month old baby who I am exclusively breastfeeding and for whom I am full time carer, with no childcare available. Is this likely to be accepted by the court (Scottish Sheriff court) as a valid reason to at least defer being called up for several months? Also, it asks for evidence for the special reasons, not sure what I can provide.

Thanks

Collaborate Sat 02-Jul-11 18:30:45

Birth certificate? Just write in. I'm sure they'll be understanding.

SchrodingersMew Sat 02-Jul-11 18:32:20

I'm not sure if they will use that as a reason. confused

If they do, maybe get a letter from your Doctor?

SoupDragon Sat 02-Jul-11 18:32:31

I was excused completely from English jury duty for similar reasons.

Medee Sat 02-Jul-11 18:42:17

thanks all. I'll send a copy of her birth certificate. Hopefully I will get the same result as SoupDragon. I just can't think of a way to keep feeding her or even expressing while trying to under a serious civic duty - one which ironically enough I have always wanted to do!

AgentProvocateur Sat 02-Jul-11 19:55:19

Yes, you'll definitely be excused - my sister was excused last year for this. That was Sheriff Court jury duty too.

Medee Sat 02-Jul-11 20:02:25

Thanks AP

nulgirl Sat 02-Jul-11 20:05:24

I did this when my ds was 4 months old for a jury summons from the sherrif court in Glasgow. I just wrote on the bottom of the form. They deferred it for a year and I ended up doing it when he was about 18 months old.

crazycatlady Sat 02-Jul-11 20:14:13

Every time I have a baby I seem to get a jury summons! Have always been excused on the basis of being at home with breastfed babies, never been a problem at all.

crazycatlady Sat 02-Jul-11 20:15:08

p.s. no need for birth certificate or letter from GP. Just fill in the form.

Medee Sat 02-Jul-11 20:17:06

perfect, thanks all. Have been mentally composing a begging letter, but will just complete the form.

STIDW Sat 02-Jul-11 20:28:30

I was called for jury service in Scotland and excused three times because of child care commitments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: