Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Free Deedpoll website for childs name change

(16 Posts)
Crazybit Thu 30-Jun-11 16:29:47

I am changing DDs surname. I was prepared to pay the £whatever that was needed, however I have come accross a couple of websites offering it for free. Has anyone used one or does anyone have any advice?

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 18:32:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 18:42:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

STIDW Thu 30-Jun-11 19:13:33

How old is your daughter? Despite what deed polls sites may say you need consent from all those with Parental Responsibility for a child to chnge the child's name.

Crazybit Thu 30-Jun-11 22:48:18

Thanks yearning, thats basically what I think it is, there is a copy on MSE also but I wasnt sure if it could be used for dd.

Stidw-she's 3 but I have sole PR so that is not an issue.

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 22:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crazybit Thu 30-Jun-11 23:32:28

i KNOW! Mad isnt it! I still dont know what to do, do i need to do anything legal or just get that statutory of declaration and a signature..?

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 23:40:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DartsRus Sat 02-Jul-11 22:03:40

I've just found this page from the CAB.

Doesn't suggest anywhere that a husband's written consent is required at all.

Collaborate Sun 03-Jul-11 00:17:16

The sites that go on about registration (and use the phrase deed poll) I'd avoid. The deed poll procedure is archaic and unnecessary, and if they know their stuff they'll not call it that. You can change your name just by telling people to call you by your new name. When you want to change your name on your bank account, driving licence, passport or other official document you'll need to send whoever written proof. That's where the change of name deed comes in.

Ditto what STIDW says about all those with parental responsibility having to join in for a child's change of name. There's one site often linked to by posters here that neglects to make this absolutely clear.

scaredoflove Sun 03-Jul-11 00:25:49


You don't need a signature from ex, you just have to notify them

Collaborate Sun 03-Jul-11 00:57:03

Sorry, but the website says "However, to change a child's name, the consent of everyone with parental responsibility is required. If your husband is your children's father, then your husband will have parental responsibility and his consent will be required for any name change. "

But what the hell do I know. I'm only a solicitor with 20 years experience and a member of the Advanced Family Law Panel of the Law Society.

Anyway, it's not just the law, it's morally the right thing to do.

STIDW Sun 03-Jul-11 03:03:59

CAB website says;

"Changing a child’s name

A child’s name can be changed at any time, provided it is not to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure which must be followed in order to change a child’s name, providing all the people who need to give their consent have done so ......

Who can change a child’s name

Where only one parent or person has parental responsibility for a child, that person can lawfully change the child’s name. Where two or more people have parental responsibility for the child, one of them can lawfully change the child’s name *if all the others agree.*"

(My emphasis)

Collaborate Sun 03-Jul-11 09:28:43

STIDW - the CAB advice is misleading. All those with PR must change the name. In practice everyone will expect that they a join as a party to the deed.

The fact is that, as is evidenced from threads on this board, there are many people who want to change the name of a child without the consent of the other parent first.

Changing a child's name is one of those things that can only be done by the parents jointly.

STIDW Sun 03-Jul-11 10:19:23

I agree. It's only common sense really. If there isn't written consent it's only one word against another and there is every possibility a court would change the name back.

scaredoflove Sun 03-Jul-11 10:30:49

My last comment was related to separated women needing a signature from ex

My top link shows that parental consent is absolutely needed to change a child's surname

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: