Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Need to use Power of Attorney at bank

(8 Posts)
IdontknowwhyIcare Sat 25-Jun-11 14:03:47

I live abroad and my mum is getting a bit absent minded but is as fit as a fiddle (shes 78). I already have power of attorney, what I would like to do is organise with her banks and building societies that i can see her accounts on line. She has had one or two occassions where payments havent been made. Does anyone know what documents I need apart from the power of attorney, if I give the original document to one bank what do I give to the next? Of course i could ask the bank but its expensive and wrong timing to call and get the round around.
Just to clarify my mum is happy for me to do this and I have no intention of running off with her money ;-)

mumsiepie Sun 26-Jun-11 08:54:20

If someone helped your mum register for telephone/internet banking (just takes a phone call) you could use her passwords etc. Maybe you could do it with her if you are planning to be home soon. You couldn't do it without her there.

You could always email her bank to ask her otherwise.

Collaborate Sun 26-Jun-11 12:44:58

I think that a POA will have to be renewed annually if the bank is to take it as continuing authority - this is a practical point that I recently came across dealing with a client's case.

Mumsiepie is right - getting the internet access is the simplest way to go. Make sure you get a letter from your mum giving you authority though, and specifying what she wants you to use it for. Prevents any family arguments in the future.

sneezecakesmum Sun 26-Jun-11 13:05:26

I have my son's bank account via internet access, passwords etc and because he's an idiot with money I move his pay around, pay bills, transfer money between accounts etc. He's aware of all this and I don't do it without informing him - of course!

I don't believe it is illegal as he is happy for me to do it. He also gives me authority (verbal or written) to deal with companies on his behalf - usually about a debt! So this is also an option. All very straightforward and no POA needed.

mumblechum1 Tue 28-Jun-11 19:55:12

Sneezecakes mum, please tell me Sneezecake isn't a thirty year old man grin

sis Tue 28-Jun-11 20:11:08

You take the poa to a branch of the bank together with ID to show that you are the person with the poa and after a lot of (including taking a copy of the poa) and form filling, they return the poa to you so that you can go through the same procedure at all the other banks.

If you are unable to do it at the branch because you live abroad, you send the documents to HQ of each bank in turn by recorded delivery or registered post. A lot of bank staff are unfamiliar with their own procedures for lasting power of attorneys.

sneezecakesmum Tue 28-Jun-11 21:42:51

DS IS A THIRTY YEAR OLD MAN - NO I am not joking!!!!

sneezecakesmum Tue 28-Jun-11 21:44:39

grin grin grin And before you say let him sink in his own financial quaqmire...I did it 3 times and HE DOESNT LEARN!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: