Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Birth Certificate and unmarried parents

(11 Posts)
InnocentRedhead Thu 23-Jun-11 19:16:17

Hi all, i am asking this question for myself and not sure where to put it, so its here and in relationships.

Basically, I have just found out I am pregnant, due February 2012, and me and the father (my DP) are unmarried. However, we will only be unmarried at the time of birth until the baby is 5 month old.

The child on the Birth Certificate will have DPs surname, but is there anyway of getting the birth certificate changed after the wedding (date set for 24/07/12) so all our surnames match (it will only be mine that needs changing as i am changing my name at the wedding).

What can i do and what legal channels will there be to follow?

LunaticFringe Thu 23-Jun-11 19:21:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblechum1 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:50:57

Sorry, don't quite understand, so please clarify; are you saying that because on the birth cert, it will say Miss X as mother, Mr Y as father, child Y as child, you then want to have it changed to Mrs Y as mother, Mr Y as father etc so that it isn't obvious that your child is being born to unmarried parents?

Or is it something else?

It's actually quite hard to change a birth certificate ime - can't you just get married before the birth if it matters that much to you?

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 23-Jun-11 20:07:17

General Register Office info.
Think you can call them.

tabulahrasa Thu 23-Jun-11 20:11:52

You reregister the birth - google reregister birth on marriage of natural parents ( I can't do links on my phone)

Dolcegusto Thu 23-Jun-11 20:14:43

Yes it's possible, in fact if you change your name after your marriage you have to have it changed on the birth certificate so that in the section 'mothers name' it has your correct surname.

I had to do this with dd1, she took my (then) dps surname but when we got married I changed to mrs dolce smith so birth cert was reissued.

Dolcegusto Thu 23-Jun-11 20:16:24

As I recall you just call tge registry office and tell them you need to reregister your dc after marriage of it's parents and they will tell you what you need to bring to the appt.

nocake Thu 23-Jun-11 21:37:13

You are legally obliged to re-register the birth after you get married so just do it then.

InnocentRedhead Thu 23-Jun-11 22:51:07

mumblechum: yeah basically that is what i want.. I just want everyone to have the same name on everything, it is probably just me being funny, but it really is something i would like, not from a legal point of view, just my preference. Not really an option to get married before, well it is, but i am now looking forward to getting married with our little loved one there.

And thanks for advice, seems easy enough i hope, just something i was wondering and really want. Thanks again

SingingSands Thu 23-Jun-11 22:59:21

Yes, it's easy to do - I did this after we got married when DD was 5 months! Just ring the registry and make an appointment, taking your wedding certificate.

walk4adam Tue 28-Jun-11 22:25:02

Hi, you CANNOT change all the names: After you re-register the birth what ever surname you had, that will alway be on your childs birth certificate - its the section 9.a Maiden Surname this section will still carry your old surname regardless! section 7 mothers name and surname can change to match baby and father in section 2 and 4 but I believe there is a time limit to this? but I am not too sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: