Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.


(9 Posts)
Clairebearclaire Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:09

anybody been taken to court for child contact and they have only been awarded indirect contact? Ex recently took me to court for contact with child, child is one he hasn't seen her since she was 3 weeks old been in prison, restraining order, domestic abuse, alcohol abuse etc etc never provided anything for her just wondering what my chances are of him just getting indirect contact are? He's admitted to the judge the domestic violence and there are police reports to back everything up.

GypsyMoth Thu 23-Jun-11 11:05:05

how would that work with a one year old? she cant read,speak etc

cestlavielife Thu 23-Jun-11 11:28:11

he may get awarded supervised contact centre contact for eg one hour per week

STIDW Thu 23-Jun-11 12:30:46

A lot will depend upon the extent of the DV, whether he acknowledges the pain he has caused and what he has done to address his abusive behaviour and alcohol abuse. No contact is rare. Indirect contact with a one year old might be sending pictures, letters and cards for you to read to the child so the child begins to get a sense of family and that your ex is her father before they meet again for the first time.

Clairebearclaire Thu 23-Jun-11 14:04:24

Yes thats what I was thinking with indirect contact, photos updates of her development etc. His last act of domestic abuse towards me only happened in Feb when he was arrested and charged but apparantly he's "changed" don't see how in only 4 months

Collaborate Thu 23-Jun-11 14:15:31

The court will expect him to prove he has changed by going on courses/taking therapy.

Clairebearclaire Thu 23-Jun-11 17:45:38

He was ordered by a magistrate judge to attend an alcohol awareness course in January as part of a conviction for criminal damage according to him he no longer drinks but theres pics on his fb of him drinking. Will the family judge also make himmattend therapy/courses etc

Collaborate Thu 23-Jun-11 18:57:39

Should think so, unless he wants to have being an ever present at a contact centre as the height of his ambitions. You'd be looking at the "no excuses" course run by the nspcc for DV and regular and complicit attendance at your local alcohol awareness clinic (there will be one) coupled with clear blood and hair strand alcohol test results. With legal aid being withdrawn don't know who's going to fund these in the future. Utter chaos unless you can afford it all.

Clairebearclaire Thu 23-Jun-11 19:34:57

Thanks for your advice, Neither of us have legal aid anyway I'm not entitled to it I earn to much (but not enough for a solicitor) so am representing myself, He just can't be arsed to apply for it so is representing himself. The judge mentioned hair and blood tests but due to lack of funding its who's gunna pay for it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: