Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

AIBU not to have heard of the Senior courts act 1981 and to have just discovered that it is in fact the "new" name for the Supreme Court Act 1981 post Oct 2009!!

(9 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 22-Jun-11 14:21:51

and there was I thinking it was a typo in the new Red Book ....

Collaborate Wed 22-Jun-11 14:32:23

tut tut.

They are also going to rename the new Ken Clarke bill the "crap on the poor and needy" Bill.

babybarrister Wed 22-Jun-11 14:36:51

I can honestly say that no-one I have asked had ever heard of it either grin

did you like my tosser tax though - it is a "technical" term smile

Zoonose Wed 22-Jun-11 14:39:47

I've heard of it ... but only because I worked in legal publishing and have had to find and replace the Supreme Court Act 1981 about seven million times. In fact, I don't think I will ever forget it.

babybarrister Wed 22-Jun-11 14:57:02

I am ashamed ....hmm but then so should half the Bar be ashamed too! and there I was about to complain to the publishers of the Red Book grin I did however discover a real mistake in it wink - there is no right to privilege aginst self incrimination now in AR - see R v K 2009 EWCA Crim 1640

Zoonose Wed 22-Jun-11 15:17:01

Contact the publishers - they will want to correct that next ed. I didn't work on that one (but did work for the publishers), so not sure how it is all processed on the Red Book - but they will definitely want to know about that.

babybarrister Wed 22-Jun-11 15:25:24

I have - I was hoping for a free copy next time but was told it was very useful as part of "quality control" hmm !

Zoonose Wed 22-Jun-11 15:31:09

Unfortunately we are very reliant on our legal authors, largely active practitioners, to keep up to date with case law developments ... bit of a vicious circle it would seem! Worth asking for a free copy though smile

iheartdusty Thu 23-Jun-11 21:17:56

whenever I read 'Senior Court' I think of 'senior moments', ie minor idiocies and absent minded foolishness due to advancing years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now