Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is it illegal to bury your dog in your garden?

(10 Posts)
sneezecakesmum Tue 21-Jun-11 20:36:01

Poor old Sky is 14 and got a shite tumour on her side and going downhill fast. DH and I love her to bits and will pay for the vet to come to our house to do the deed, so less stress for the dog.

DH wants to bury her at the bottom of the garden with the guinea pigs and hampsters. I'm a bit shock as she's a springer spaniel and not that small and don't want to dig her up with the spring bulbs.

A friend said it is illegal to bury a dog in your garden ? something to do with the water table maybe??

Anyone have any ideas?

scurryfunge Tue 21-Jun-11 20:38:35

Not illegal just make sure the grave is deep enough to stop anything else digging her up.

memphis83 Tue 21-Jun-11 20:41:50

Agree with scruffyfunge, make sure it is deep enough, and would also put a stone or shrub above to show where she is,we also wrapped our dog in a blanket so if someone did dig wown the would be warned of the error by seeing a blanket. sorry for your loss

sneezecakesmum Tue 21-Jun-11 21:02:42

Mem.... she's not gone yet but want to make it as easy for her as possible in the near future sad hence expensive home visit from vet.

Will go ahead and bury then, very very deep as I do have a bit of a horror or digging her up accidentally and also in a blanket. Cheers guys.

Collaborate Tue 21-Jun-11 23:21:37

The answer is here

www.gardenlaw.co.uk/gardenburial.html

Lizcat Wed 22-Jun-11 15:11:10

Technically as a pet's body is clinical waste it is illegal. However, at the time at which this law was passed the Minister for the Environment stated that the intention of the law was not to prevent pet owners from burying their pets, but to prevent illegal operators from burying true clinical waste rather than burning it.

failedmother Wed 22-Jun-11 15:13:28

Hope not. Not buried a dog but our last garden was peppered with pet rats that has snuffed it sad

Dad has just buried his JRT under a bay tree in their garden too come to think of it.

CandiceMariePratt Wed 22-Jun-11 15:14:21

We buried our lovely dog in the garden and planted an apple tree over her.

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 22-Jun-11 15:16:45

I have had my dogs cremated. Much easier, I would have thought it would take ages to dig a hole in the ground at the moment it is so hard!
However the top of my bookcase is getting rather full of 'urns' as i'm not sure where to scatter the ashes!
sad for you. I have a springer.

sneezecakesmum Wed 22-Jun-11 20:42:37

Springers are the lovliest of dogs (bonkers though!)

Its going to be a very deep hole, luckily our ground is fairly soft, and have a rose planted. We are thinking about cremation though but with the vet costing £105 it may be a lot extra? Don't know.. will have to think about it as I have a recurring dream about a body (human) buried at the bottom of my garden so the whole thing freaks me a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now