Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Ripped off by car dealership - help

(19 Posts)
Thedudesdad Sun 19-Jun-11 07:21:00

I bought a car for my wife last year from John Grose Ford in Ipswich. When I paid the deposit, they sent me my order form. The year of make said 2010. When I picked the car up they got me to sign their copy of the order, and gave me the keys. Due to a problem with the car, I have found out that the car was actualy built in 2009, and John Grose'scopy of the order has the correct details on. They say it is an admin error, sorry but I know it was done on purpose to win the deal. There is a phone call with a sales manager at the time of purchase that has been recorded by the dealership which might help prove that. Otherwise, how do I get what I want out of them without spending a fortune on solicitors costs and should I contact the Police about a possible fraud case?

MrMan Sun 19-Jun-11 08:03:59

Sorry to hear about this. What model is it? If there were changes between the model years you can argue you did not receive the agreed car.

What is it that you want from them?

AuntieMonica Sun 19-Jun-11 08:12:02

I'm also unsure from this post what it is that you want from them?

And as you mention you think they deliberately misled you as a deal breaker, did you think it was a particularly good price then, did alarm bells ring or did you assume you'd got a bargain (apols if I'm wrong here) I'm also interested as to why a call was recorded, unless there is more to this story............?

I take it you are 100% sure of the wording, manufacture and 1st registration dates are often different.

It really horrible if you feel 'duped' though,

catsareevil Sun 19-Jun-11 08:16:09

If it took more than 6 months for you to notice the discrepancy then that might allow them to suggest that it wasnt that important a change. What would the cost difference have been between the car you got and the exact same car but a year younger?

Sometimes cars are built in one year, but registered a little later, which can lead to the plate seeming out of step with the model, but I dont know if that is fraud?

follyfoot Sun 19-Jun-11 08:28:43

What cats said re being built then registered after a delay. You can see huge 'car parks' where new cars sit in storage for many months in some parts of the country. Generally the age of the car is defined by its number plates - ie when it was registered - isnt it, rather than when it was built? Do the number plates match the year you were told and is it the cup to date model for that year? It'll be the registration year on the number plate and which year's version it is that will define the value of the car rather than the year of manufacture.

Thedudesdad Sun 19-Jun-11 08:39:43

They were up against another deanship. When I asked how they can suddenly do the price I want I was told by the sales guy that they supply the competitor with cars so get them cheaper. The model is a Focus. Although there are a couple of changes on the car, that is not the point. The point is they said they would supply one car and delivered another. The point is miss representation. They lied to get the order. The contract is there fore null and void surely. They record all their calls, but didn't mention this call when telling me which ones they had listened to. Using know if it makes any difference births chassis numbers are the same on both orders so my copy was definitely doctored.

AuntieMonica Sun 19-Jun-11 08:46:06

Sorry, but I still don't understand what you want from the dealership now?

Are you trying to claim back the difference in price?

And also, how have you found out this information, about the sales documents being allegedly (have to say this, I have no concurrent proof) altered?

catsareevil Sun 19-Jun-11 08:53:22

I think that you will struggle to argue that the contract is null and void when it took you more than 6 months to notice.

What do you want from the dealership?

KingofHighVis Sun 19-Jun-11 08:53:55

Not sure what it is you want from them. Do you want to return the car and take the alternative deal? Refund your deposit? Apologise?

In my opinion a cars value is primarily based on the year of registration, mileage and condition; all of which you would be aware of at all stages of the purchase. I have never considered the actual build date when buying a car. However, if you believe you have a legitamate complaint and can't get any satisfaction from the the dealership you should take action through the small claims court. If it is a simple contractual dispute this shouldn't cost much.

follyfoot Sun 19-Jun-11 08:56:34

Have to say whenever I've bought a car, the year of <manufacture> has never been mentioned; the year of registration has though. Are you sure the two arent being mixed up here?

The year of manufacture isnt really of any relevance normally. If you buy an '11' car, its may well be the case that it was manufactured in 2010, thats quite normal. But it would be sold as a 2011 car.

Thedudesdad Sun 19-Jun-11 10:53:22

This is too big for a small claims court. They only go up to £5k. I want the dealership to give me my money back or pay the settlement figure on the car. As I keep saying the point is the miss representation not the age if the car. I know cars are built and stored but this is not the car I bought. The order was physically amended by someone in the dealership and then changed back. If the show was on the other foot somehow, they would be quoting the order details and contract terms on me.

It took a wile to find this out as there was a problem with the car and a separate dealer told me this car is an older model. They found this out by checking my VIN number.

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:46:53

Message deleted

tb Tue 21-Jun-11 08:04:23

Try trading standards/consumer protection department with your local authority. They may be able to help.

Collaborate Tue 21-Jun-11 08:12:23

The small claims court limit is about to go up to £15,000.

Amateurish Tue 21-Jun-11 08:24:13

Can you give some more details?

What registration is it? What is the date of registration on the V5?

What exactly does your order form state about the age of the vehicle, and how does this differ from the dealer's copy which you signed?

You will not be able to get a refund. At most, you will be able to claim the difference in value between a 2010 and 2009 car.

MrMan Wed 22-Jun-11 17:30:20

Obviously you are very annoyed about this. I suggest it is important you are able to express three things clearly: how you have been wronged, what evidence you have, and what compensation you want. We are a pretty impartial bunch so try writing them out in a post for us; once we get it you can repeat the same story to the dealer, and then the courts if you they are not being fair. I think you need to decide how important this is to you and how much you want to drag this out in potentially lengthy legal battles.

mumoverseas Thu 23-Jun-11 13:54:20

Did you not get the V5 when you collected the car? Surely the date of registration would be set out in that document?

allthefires Thu 23-Jun-11 13:58:07

The date of manufacteur and date of registrationn are never the same.

We had a car in our pound when I worked for a garage for about a year. The dealership registered it when sold and brought as a new car.

Shocking isnt it?

moneyclaims4udot Tue 12-Jul-11 00:11:59

equitable maxim states delay defeats equity. You have waited too long. If it had been a reasonable period, i.e 2 weeks, I could get a result for you. Unfortunately, waiting six months means you have no case. Shame as you have a classic case of negligent misstatement. Sorry I cant help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now