Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is this not a breach of Data Protection?

(8 Posts)
dontquotem3 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:20:12

Not too long ago I called upon the services of my local community police officers. I gave them my details, name contact number and suchlike. My affair was dealt with to the best of their ability, and that was that.

A couple of months later I received a call from the "proper" police explaining that the community police officer who dealt with my matter gave him my name, number and address.

Is this allowed? The two matters were totally unrelated.

Thanks for any replies.

mumblechum1 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:34:15

What two matters do you mean?

I would have thought (but DP isn't my field), that they all belong to the same organisation so data would be shared.

Why does it matter?

MissBeehiving Fri 17-Jun-11 21:47:01

Er no. Why would one police officer giving your details to another be a breach of the DPA?

dontquotem3 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:01:20

The reason I contacted the community police was because after a stalemate in a residential street, the driver of the other car got out of his car screaming obscenities at me and tried to open my car door. As mentioned that was duly passed on to 'proper' police (sorry to keep using that phrase can't think in those terms) and dealt with accordingly.

The reason why my details were given out, resulting in my receiving a call, was that they ('proper police') wanted me to inform them if I happened to see a person (who lives on my street opposite me) who'd apparently committed a serious offence and was wanted by them. I was asked to dial 999 to report this wanted person. That I did not have a problem with.

My problem is that my details were given out, and I don't believe that they should be able to do that willy nilly or that it is legal same organisation or not. It's a matter of my privacy surely. I don't think I would have minded so much if they had given me a courtesy call first asking whether I minded or not.

I was told "yeah we can". Er I think no you can't. Please advise

Thanks for replies so far.

fivegomadindorset Fri 17-Jun-11 22:04:43

I would imagine that whatever information PCSO's take are available to the policeforce as a matter of routine and I am struggling to find where you think ther has been a breach of data protection.

babylann Fri 17-Jun-11 22:07:02

At least it stops them knocking on your door when you're still in your PJs to make the same request, I guess.

MissBeehiving Fri 17-Jun-11 22:08:25

It's the SAME organisation.

Even if they did not have your details through the PCSO enquiry they would lawfully be able to access than data through a variety of other means provided it was for the prevention and detection of crime.

ROFL at they should have rung you and asked you whether you would mind if they could ring you in the first place grin

dontquotem3 Fri 17-Jun-11 23:13:09

MissBeehiving Though you may laugh, one of the PCSO's actually though that this would have been a good idea of their part and told me so when he apologised. Though not enough of a good idea to actually do itwink.

OK. No biggie in the grand scheme of things, I shall put that to rest in my mind now. Thanks guys.

Haven't seen the suspect btw...yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now