Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Training agreement

(3 Posts)
ameliameerkat Thu 16-Jun-11 21:21:06

When I started in my current job I signed a training agreement to do with my current employer paying fees for a course. I'm about to hand in my notice. The training agreement I signed means that I'll have to pay a % of the fees back. They've messed me around so much in recent months (office transfer to a different city in a 'move or we'll make you redundant' kind of way) that I'm really not inclined to pay them back! What's the worse they can do - sue me!? Which would be bad I guess. Take me to small claims court? I'm hoping they might somehow somehow forget to ask me for it back....... I might at least ask to pay it back over a number of months, not all at once.

Have you actually completed your training? Usually these agreements are for two years after finishing the qualification, unless you get maderedundant, which is what happened to me. I don't know if they can deduct it from yiur final pay packet, but they would be entitled to pursue for it, even if they didn't you could wave goodbye to a decent, or any, reference.

ameliameerkat Fri 17-Jun-11 19:32:53

Thanks for your reply!

I have finished my training, but because I'm leaving less than a year after (by just over a month - grrr) I'm supposed to pay 50% back. If it was 1 - 2 years after it would be 25%. I might arrange to pay it back in instalments, then cancel after a couple and see if they notice. I don't need a reference, so that's not a concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now