Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

calling all family lawyers - your views on this

(8 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 14-Jun-11 10:41:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Collaborate Tue 14-Jun-11 11:03:41

I have to agree that in most of my cases violence isn't mentioned - and I ask all new clients about this.

You jaundiced hack you!!!

I do agree that violence as a one off at the point of separation is viewed differently to sustained relationship violence. It's my personal view that if you confess to your spouse you've had an affair you might expect an explosion of anger. I've had female clients slap and punch male clients and vice versa.

mumblechum1 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:43:49

I'd say it depends on the demographic. I once worked in an inner city Legal Aid practice (Liverpool) and there was masses more reported DV then than I come across now in my affluent Home Counties practice at the moment.

Of course there's always going to be some, but I saw a marked decrease.

At the moment, I'd say DV incidents reported in behaviour cases are 10% or less.

babybarrister Tue 14-Jun-11 12:06:26

Collaborate Tue 14-Jun-11 12:48:02

My colleague, who does mainly care work (the rest being nearly all legal aid children act work) reckons no more than half her cases involve DV - perhaps less.

I do a mix of private and LA divorce and finance work. I'd say 10% of cases there may have been some violence. There might be an element of under reporting going on, but I do ask them all.

And I'm in Liverpool mumblechum(!)

babybarrister Tue 14-Jun-11 13:12:57

Collaborate Tue 14-Jun-11 13:17:39

Where do you practice?

babybarrister Tue 14-Jun-11 13:20:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now