Advanced search

Where can I get an extract from Childrens And YOung Persons Act 2008?

(8 Posts)
ASecretLemonadeDrinker Thu 09-Jun-11 14:43:52

I cannot find the bit I want - I am sure it was one of the first paragraphs, if not the first, about it being an offence to cause suffering etc. etc. but I cannot see it, the one I am reading seems to do with care and social workers or something (??) Thanks

cestlavielife Thu 09-Jun-11 15:25:33

Firestone Thu 09-Jun-11 15:27:24

You need the 1933 Act not the 2008 one!


ASecretLemonadeDrinker Thu 09-Jun-11 15:40:17

I am sure it was 2008... The 1933 one waffles on about a fine not exceeding £400 etc. etc., and surely a later act cancels that one out? I am so sure I read something like that paragraph of the 1933 act in the 2008 act... [bangs head on table]

Firestone Thu 09-Jun-11 17:24:01

A later act doesn't always repeal an earlier act, so it could be the 1933 Act, honest!

mranchovy Thu 09-Jun-11 18:09:02

It is the 1933 Act. The link cestlavielife gave is to the extant (i.e. amended in line with later legislation) version of that Act. You can see the amendments in the annotations.

£400 is the maximum fine for the defined offence on summary conviction i.e. in a Magistrates' Court - if the alleged offence were sufficiently serious it would be tried in the Crown Court where the fine is unlimited.

ASecretLemonadeDrinker Thu 09-Jun-11 19:04:27

OK, thanks. How come the 1933 stuff doesn't appear in the 2008 one? Is it just the extras? confused

mranchovy Thu 09-Jun-11 20:27:23

Yes, new laws only contain amendments and additions to old ones, they don't (generally) replace them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: