Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

eviction notice

(9 Posts)
anice Mon 06-Jun-11 19:05:23

Dh and I rent a house from a private landlord in England. we've been here two years and we've been without a written contract (on a periodic tenancy) for the last year.

On Saturday, we gave our notice to the landlord in writing. It was all very amicable. we've looked after the property well, not given any trouble and I think they would like us to stay on as tenants (mostly because of the loss of our rent money, of course!). Then I emailed the managing agent to let them know what was going on.

This afternoon the managing agent sent me a section 21 eviction notice on behalf of the landlord to sign and return. In the covering note, the agent says its just a formality.
In the small print at the bottom of the notice, it suggests I take legal advice if I don't understand what I am signing. Honestly, i don't!

Is this normal?

pettyprudence Mon 06-Jun-11 19:15:48

If you have given written notice then this is largely unnecessary however the agents might be covering their backs in case you didn't vacate. the section 21 gives you 2 months notice to vacate and must start on your rent due date to be valid. if you fail to vacate the landlord can then apply to the courts to have you evicted. Your signature on the s21 is not required for this though.

Madlizzy Mon 06-Jun-11 19:18:03

I've never had to do this in all my years of renting! I would take advice.

howdidthishappenthen Mon 06-Jun-11 19:26:52

S21 is very normal and not at all threatening. This is bum covering in case you don't leave. The bit about consulting a solicitor is mandatory wording. If you're off anyway, there's no prob. *

*stupiddilemma is a member of ARLA, not an armchair solicitor.

howdidthishappenthen Mon 06-Jun-11 19:29:17

Goddammit. I mean Howdidthappenthethis is ARLA. Forgot I namechanged..

howdidthishappenthen Mon 06-Jun-11 19:30:34

Goddammit. I mean howdid.. is ARLA. Forgot I namechanged. Forget my own head next. I do know my stuff on s21s though..

anice Mon 06-Jun-11 19:55:48

Thanks.
I also got a note saying I am obliged to allow viewings with 24 hours notice. There was something like this in my contract but it expired last year.
Its not that I am against letting people in, its just the letting agents are unpleasant and arrogant so I'd like to not be at their beck and call for two months and I do want to have some peace in my last days in the property.

For choice i would have no one at all, but as a compromise I'd be willing to offer two days per week when viewings can take place.

Is this ok? Or does my contract stand?

howdidthishappenthen Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:59

Viewing are by agreement with you. You can refuse (whatever they say to the contrary) but if your landlord is nice, then it would be a bit mean. Maybe offer then 2 x 1hr evening slots, and 1x 1hr weekend slot? That should be plenty per week for them to schedule around, and you then know when to make sure there are no pants on bedroom floors smile

anice Mon 06-Jun-11 22:25:53

howdidthishappen - why can't all managing agents be like you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: