Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

can anyone help with divorce question please?

(5 Posts)
Happylander Sun 05-Jun-11 21:00:09

Could anyone tell me what

a) apply to the court ex-parte on affidavit for the District Judge to consider whether a petition may be deemed to have been served in accordance with the Family Court proceedings

b) apply to the court ex-parte on affidavit for the District Judge to consider whether directions should be given.

Can't find out on the government website exactly what these mean.

Thanks

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Jun-11 21:05:27

Ex parte - means when the judge decides something without one or more of the parties being present. So the judge reviews the case and checks it meets the normal rules of the family court and the second one - directions is about the judge proposes the terms of the divorce settlement I think (been a long time since my divorce!)

sneezecakesmum Mon 06-Jun-11 21:54:06

The affadavit bit is a sworn statement. So I suppose its a judge deciding on the evidence what course is to be taken without either party being present.
Obviously never heard of the plain english campaign.

Collaborate Mon 06-Jun-11 22:23:55

I think (a) is deemed service ( judge deems the respondent has been served and you can apply for decree nisi) and (b) is substituted service (judge directs what you still have to do to ensure service, which will be different to the usual postal or personal service).

Happylander Tue 07-Jun-11 09:20:01

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now