Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Responsabilty for my children

(7 Posts)
kyobo Sun 05-Jun-11 02:34:40

Hello, I don't know if anyone can advise me. The short version here is that I am ill. I may need to go into hospital. I could die. I am a widower and I have a young child. I have family who may wish to be involved with my child in the event that I am gone, but I would like if I am very ill or if I die for a family friend to have care and responsability of me and my child.

I am very concerned that my family will try to take my child away and while I am well enough I need to try to put something into action to prevent this. At present I don't even have a will. Is there some way I can legally give the family friend these rights?

DooinMeCleanin Sun 05-Jun-11 02:44:34

I believe there is. My partner is not dd1's biological father. Should anything happen to me, I wish for dd1 and dd2 to be kept together (preferably with my sister, but that would be very hard to do, the solicitor tells me) and I know my family would try and take both children from him. They would be able to take dd1 as he does not have PR for her.

You need to give your family friend parental responsibility and you need a will. I am so sorry about what is happening to you and wish you well. CAB will be able to advise better.

kyobo Sun 05-Jun-11 08:40:37


MissFenella Sun 05-Jun-11 08:49:04

I'm named in my brother and sil will as legal guardian of my niece.
Can he not get pr for dd 1?

Then you can't state your wishes in a will.

Collaborate Sun 05-Jun-11 10:40:12

Make a will with a guardianship clause ASAP.

kyobo Mon 06-Jun-11 23:07:42

I will get a will with guardian ship clause organised straight away, I'm still worried about the rest of the time that I am alive too. smile Thankyou all for your advice.

mumblechum1 Tue 07-Jun-11 16:23:47

I'm a will writer and echo the advice to write a will, appointing a Guardian, however you need to be aware that the appointment is not binding on any court asked to adjudicate in the event that there's a dispute between your surviving family and friends about who your child should live with.

If I were writing your will, I'd expressly state anyone who you did not wish to look after your child, together with reasons, either in the will itself or in a separate letter of wishes (if you didn't want others to know the details).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: