Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

XP still not removed me from Tenancy Agreement.

(6 Posts)
Lovemelillady Fri 03-Jun-11 13:49:34

I've not lived with him for a year now and he still hasn't won't remove me from the lease. I have asked him to sort this out and he demanded £150 off me for the change from joint to single lease. I don't know if he has utilities in my name as he won't tell me. I know he's been defaulting on council tax, as well as other bills, and I'm petrifed now it will all affect my credit rating.

What I would like to know is that seen as we have the deposit in a secure deposit system, and my name is on the lease, am I able to claim that money? And also, I still have things in the house that we bought together. What can I do to get these things back?

I spoke to both the landlady and the letting agents regarding removing me from the lease when I moved out and this hasn't been done as XP refused to pay for the credit check and change of agreement himself (he threatened me with court over this matter). How can I prove when I left this house as I'm trying to get on the housing register and if they think I'm still living with him I could I get done for fraud??

cestlavielife Fri 03-Jun-11 15:20:28

call all the utilities companies yourself and say you have moved out.
if your name is on them they will take you off and send him bill.

if you bought things together you need to decide between you who gets what.

nocake Fri 03-Jun-11 16:11:07

It's easy to get yourself off the utilities. As for coming off the lease, can you give notice to the letting agent? They should then remove you from the lease.

Lovemelillady Fri 03-Jun-11 16:31:32

I'll see if I can reason with him to sort out the utilities. I've done well to rebuild my credit rating since uni!

I did try and come off the lease last year when I moved out, I informed the landlady and the letting agent, but they continued to let him live in the house on a joint occupancy. He refused to change it as it would cost him £150 and he'd need to be credit checked (can't see him passing one of these). I received a new agreement in the post to the house I am living in now, asking me to resign it, the other week, so it's clear I'm still listed as living there. Surely this will go against me when appying for housing?

mummytime Fri 03-Jun-11 16:56:28

You could take it to the CAB and get them to help you word the letter stating that you haven't lived there for a year so will not be signing it. Did you write to them (or email them) last year, if so make sure you have copies of those letters.

Do you have any proof of where you live now? Electoral role, council tax bank statements etc?

DillyDaydreaming Fri 03-Jun-11 17:01:54

I just wrote to the Letting Agents when exH and I separated. Gave them a months notice that I was moving out - end of.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: