Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Letter(s) regarding existence of a Will. Advice please!

(8 Posts)
erebus Mon 30-May-11 21:02:40

To the DD of the deceased:

Dear 'x',

I hope you are well.

I have been asked by family members to enquire as to whether 'y' left a will, and to ask with whom is it lodged.

Many thanks,

Erebus

Then, assuming she tells me:

Dear Solicitors.

I understand that the Will of 'y' of village A. who died on dd/mm/yy was lodged with you.

I would be grateful if you could send me a copy of this will as there may be a matter that we wish to discuss further.

Yours

etc.

What do you think? I know it all sounds simple, but, in fact, I am trying to only put down what I need to. CAN I ask for a copy of the will? Do I have to prove that I might have an interest or could anyone ask? Should I even mention that we may be about to contest it?? (the 'matter').

The DD is known to me, but not particularly well, so I don't feel the need to go into great shenanigans about her grieving process (her mother, incidentally, was 96 so not a sudden, unexpected death).

Thanks.

countydurhamlass Mon 30-May-11 21:11:15

you can't get a copy of a will from a solicitors unless you are the executor

prh47bridge Mon 30-May-11 22:18:14

If probate has been granted you can get a copy of the will from the probate registry - details here

erebus Mon 30-May-11 22:28:11

How does anyone get to find out that there may be a problem with a Will unless they can actually get to see it? Serious question.

Not sure about probate- how long does it take for a Will to be posted on the registry?

Thanks.

partystress Mon 30-May-11 22:35:23

My recent experience (after complicated, coroner involved type death) was that probate took about 5 months. There was a period of 6 months I think after probate that the proceeds could not be distributed in case it was challenged.

partystress Mon 30-May-11 22:36:42

I also vaguely recall something called the Official Gazette where details had to be published.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 31-May-11 20:04:13

What about asking the funeral directors if they know who the solicitors are? No idea I am afraid if they would tell you ..

SaveWaterDrinkWine Tue 31-May-11 21:33:58

Could not just tell the daughter your reasons for asking about the contents of the Will?

You could try ringing round the Solicitors near to where the deceased resided - they will be able to tell you whether or not they hold a Will. Unless you are a named Executor or Residual Beneficiary, you will not normally be supplied with a copy.

Could you briefly, without going into too much detail, explain what your concerns are as I may be able to assist further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now