Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Building Occupied for 20 Years But No Planning Permission

(2 Posts)
YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Thu 03-Mar-11 19:19:49

My brother and his girlfriend have been living in a 'cabin' that was built by a friend of theirs (on said friend's land) approx. 20 years ago.

The friend lived in the structure (like a static caravan in size but wood and hand built) for around 12 years then my brother moved in when the friend bought a house elsewhere.

The friend still owns the land and is happy for my brother to live there. They have water, mains electric, a TV license and photographs to show how long the structure has been there but they never got planning permission and do not pay council tax.

Post gets delivered but all formal addresses (eg. bank, electoral roll) are my parents address. The site is quite isolated, it's on a farm track with only farms as neighbours.

What is the legal situation if the council found out this building was now being used for residential occupation? Would they automatically evict/ fine/ demand backdated council tax?

SmallThingsMatter Wed 08-Jun-11 15:14:23

Bump
for a friend in similar situation who is trying to find out best way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now