Advanced search

Married abroad, divorce in the UK

(4 Posts)
toolly Fri 14-Jan-11 23:24:28

I hope somebody will be able to help me.
What sort of paperwork will I need to gather to obtain a divorce? The marriage took place in Costa Rica and we are both living in the UK and H has since then become a british citizen. We have three children. I have a feeling he will disappear so I would like to get a divorce as quickly as possible whilst he is still in the country so he can sign any necessary paperwork.

freshmint Fri 14-Jan-11 23:26:36

You will need your costa rican marriage certificate and a certified translation of it. Then you petition as usual on the basis of eg 2 years sep + consent or behaviour or adultery or whatever.

toolly Fri 14-Jan-11 23:28:33

Thanks freshmint. I already have a certified translation of it for his citizenship papers.

freshmint Fri 14-Jan-11 23:34:03

You're set then. Are you getting advice on the petition or doing it yourself?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: