Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

moving away

(4 Posts)
Magicmayhem Mon 10-Jan-11 17:44:32

I'm separated, (soon to divorced) from exh, I have met a wonderful new man and plan to marry him next year. This means moving nearer to where he lives, Its not written in stone yet but I need to start thinking about things...
Do I need my ex's permission to move away?
our kids will be 16 and 14.

countydurhamlass Mon 10-Jan-11 19:19:57

if u are moving somewhere in this country then no, but i would discuss it with him as soon as it is in stone, with regards to what sort of contact he can have etc, plans in principle etc so as not to make him "freak out". the more prepared you are to answer his questions the better to make it as amicable as possible,

also does he know about your new man? he may want to know about him to put his mind at ease about who he actually is as he will be living with you and your children.

not sure about moving abroad,

Magicmayhem Mon 10-Jan-11 19:26:25

thank you CDL, he knows about my fiance, but was given the chance to meet him and refused. The kids like my BF and get on well with him.

I just want to make this as easy as possible for everyone.

I also posted this in Lone Parents

prh47bridge Mon 10-Jan-11 23:42:03

He can try to stop you moving but he is very unlikely to succeed as long as you are moving within England & Wales. However, the contact arrangements will need to reflect the increased distance and, as you will be the one moving away, you may have to bear the additional costs involved in contact between your ex and your children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now