Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Destroying a bank card

(5 Posts)
pythonmum Thu 06-Jan-11 22:33:27

Eldest DS was in a local bar between Christmas and New year (yes he is old enough btw!) and realised barman had not given bankcard back, asked for it, barman was arsey and denied all knowledge.

The next day I rang the bar just to check and the manager confirmed they had it (said found on the floor) and would keep it till I could collect. Husband rang them earlier today to arrange collection and they denied having it. I rang them later and, after much pushing said they had probably cut it up. Can they do this? The card is not their property so surely they should retain the pieces or keep records or something.

The card had been cancelled with the bank just in case but this all just seems a bit dodgy. Anyone know of any legal requirements with lost cards?

I rang bar

pythonmum Thu 06-Jan-11 22:35:24

Please ignore last line. Don't know where that came from!

potplant Thu 06-Jan-11 22:38:21

The card belongs to the bank I think so technically they can't cut it up

Sounds a bit fishy to me but if you've cancelled it then you're covered if they are up to no good. Check your statement to make sure that there isn't anything untoward on there.

squashedfrogs Thu 06-Jan-11 22:48:13

I don't know about the legal requirements but I know my bank cards have writing on the back that says they belong to xxx bank and if found to post it back to the bank or return to any branch.

It all sounds a bit suspect re the bar but if no transactions have been made that your DS doesn't know about then I suspect there isn't anything to worry about in the long run.

pythonmum Thu 06-Jan-11 22:52:07

I am just astounded that any business would destroy a bank card without keeping any records, even if only to cover their own backs.

All sounds very odd to me but bank have confirmed card cancelled and DS checking account regularly just in case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: