Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Parental Consent on pictures

(13 Posts)
Jpc2010 Wed 29-Dec-10 18:25:50

my in laws do not see my little girl who is now 16 months old. through there own choice, as they treated her discustingly and in ways we didnt approve of and wouldnt stop. we even went to mediation to sort out suitable access as we all dnt get on and they didnt turn up.
now every occasion they dont see her or send cards the put her in the paper with photos and include comments that make her sound deceased.
these pictures are then put on the news website for all to see and search on google.
are there any laws on this? i dont agree with picures of her being splashed around, where do i stand? x

LIZS Wed 29-Dec-10 18:30:53

Presumably they have possession of and thereby the rights to use these photos ie. your direct consent isn't required. If they aren't seeing her nor you sending pictures then it will naturally ease off. Otherwise perhaps a solcitor's letter asking them to refrain may do the trick if you/your dp haven't made an impression.

GypsyMoth Wed 29-Dec-10 18:32:34

where do they get the photos from in first place??

Jpc2010 Wed 29-Dec-10 21:50:55

its always the same photo, its one of ours, were assuming the only one they have as they use no other and we have no idea how they got it.
perhaps of a third party but no clue who?

prh47bridge Thu 30-Dec-10 10:01:04

If you took the photo you own the copyright. Contrary to what LIZS says, having possession of a photo does not give you the rights to use the photo. They need your permission to put the photo in the paper. However, if it is a similar photo taken by someone else you don't have any rights. I agree with LIZS that a solicitor's letter may persuade them to stop.

They are obviously hurt by the fact that they are not allowed to see their granddaughter. They are your partner's family. I would therefore think very carefully before doing anything that may inflame the situation. However, I obviously don't know the details of what has happened. It may be that the relationship between your in laws and you and your partner has already broken down irretrievably.

Jpc2010 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:08:50

yes i took the photo.

they havent seen her since she was 6 weeks old, they where vile from the start against me having her, half f them have never spoken to us because i didnt get an abortion. The other few harrassed us in hospital turned up uninvited swore near her, pulled her about, broke all our rules and when asked to stop refused to visit.
got a solicitor involved for visits ALONE, after mediation was offered visits every saturday with us there. the day before text saying she wasnt coming today or ever.

so they have seen her 6 times and now not for 14 months almost! so why they feel the need to put her in te paper is beyond me when they even ignore us in the street and i dont think its fair they have the right to put in the paper to seek attention and upset us.

Merle Thu 30-Dec-10 21:13:13

Do you mean they use her photo in the 'Announcements' section of a newspaper?

TheMonster Thu 30-Dec-10 21:20:23

Is it always the same paper? Could you contact the paper?

Jpc2010 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:24:41

yeah in that section, then it automatically goes on the site. then anybody can search engine it.

ive rang the paper and they said they all the people who run it on tuesday as thats the only day their in. but i have looked online and seen things linking it to data protecion as shes underage

llareggub Thu 30-Dec-10 21:25:50

They sound deranged. Can you just ignore them?

Jpc2010 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:29:03

they are derrange. whats the problem with sending a card or making an effort.

i do try to put now i know photos of her are online im not happy, i myself dont even post pictures of her on sites and i dont appreciate anyone else doing it either, i just dont approve of it

Merle Fri 31-Dec-10 09:05:18

It all sounds very odd. They are being very manipulative, I think, but choosing to make such a public gesture, which looks to all the world as if they are in her life, when in fact they are not.

Merle Fri 31-Dec-10 09:06:14

I think you need to be speaking to your in-laws about this, rather than the newpaper people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: