Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child maintenance options - he lives abroad (not paying)

(4 Posts)
OldAndUngraceful Wed 29-Dec-10 08:59:19

My sister's ex husband who lives in Japan (he is Japanese but they got married in the UK) has never paid child maintenance; they initially had an amicable agreement that he would contribute a monthly amount; this amount was less than half of what a court would have established but fine, at least it was something. Now the payments have stopped altogether. Is there anything at all my sister can do bearing in mind that her and her DD live in the UK and her ex lives in Japan? Thanks.

Resolution Wed 29-Dec-10 09:55:49

It's tricky. If Japan had any reciprocal enforcement provisions with the UK she'd have to get a miantenance order in the UK, then enforce it in Japan if he doesn't pay. I assume he doesn't work for a subsiduary of a UK company. Unfortunately it looks like we have no agreement with Japan:

It'll be expensive, but hopefully she'll speak Japanese and will be able to instruct the Japanese lawyers direct. She'll have to go through the Japanese system/courts unless there's something I've missed.

OldAndUngraceful Wed 29-Dec-10 14:07:05

Thanks Resolution. I think you're probably right and there's not a lot she can do.

mamas12 Fri 31-Dec-10 00:50:56

I always suggest this, if you think it would work. What about appealing to his sense of honour with regard to contacting his family and shaming him into paying up.
Clutching at straws I know but it has worked in at least two different families I know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: