Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Please can someone help - need legal advice

(5 Posts)
Justanormalmum Sat 18-Dec-10 22:53:58

Such a long story but trying to put short version on here:

- employed builder (known to us as had done work previously) to renovate kitchen
- builder said he knew someone who made sash windows and would need £300 to get started
- we gave builder this amount in cash
- 4 weeks later (the day windows are being delivered) builder calls and says the window maker is in hospital with heart problems and worse still hasn't even started the windows.
- we commission another window maker - whole renovation put back by 4 weeks though
- ever since have been chasing builder for money - first of all saying he'd pay in instalments, then that we gave him the wrong bank details, then that he'd transferred it (he hasn't)
- phone has been dead for a couple of weeks though started ringing again today.
- i have left a message saying we're consulting solicitors etc

Please can someone tell me what to do? I am really upset about this as I worked really hard for that money and am shocked someone we trusted would just run off with it. We do know where he lives if that makes any difference. I also have text messages from him admitting he owes us money!

Thanks so much. I know it sounds silly but I can't think of anything else and feel like this is going to ruin my christmas.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 19-Dec-10 02:47:11

Ach, don't let £300 ruin your Xmas. Did you get a receipt? Have you actually contacted solicitors? (because Small Claims Court would be cheaper...)

WestVirginia Sun 19-Dec-10 11:41:13

Go to your Trading standards department, he may have done this before with other people.

Possibly go to the police, it may be "obtaining money by false pretences"

prh47bridge Sun 19-Dec-10 23:10:11

Send a letter setting a reasonable deadline by which the money must be returned and stating you will take legal action if it isn't. If that fails you should take action. This will be a small claim so you won't need a solicitor. The process is fairly straightforward. You will be able to recover court fees from the builder assuming you win.

Justanormalmum Thu 23-Dec-10 22:47:37

thanks everyone - have been knocked down by flu here so only just checking your replies.

no sodding receipt...

i am going to check with trading standards, good idea.

have to go as both sons really poorly. thank you for your responses. i know i am being silly but i just worked so hard for that money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: