Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Cancelled flight - can they fly you back to a different airport and not provide a transfer??

(10 Posts)
NotActuallyAMum Wed 08-Dec-10 20:23:21

My mum and sister have had their flight back into Birmingham airport cancelled. They've been told they'll be flown in tomorrow instead - to Leeds/Bradford - and no transfer to Birmingham will be provided

Can they do that??

canyou Wed 08-Dec-10 21:48:54

It due to weather then there is no come back really,
I s this flt they are being put on a different flt or is it the original flt number and just diverted to Leeds? If it is a diverted flt then yes they need transport, If they have accepted a flt to the UK and are not willing to wait for Birmingham to open then yes the airline can strand them at the arr airport.
TBH it will depend on the tkt terms and conditions

ivykaty44 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:50:30

why not Birmingham - it isn't shut is it?

canyou Wed 08-Dec-10 22:03:25

confused Birmingham Airport is open,
Notactuallyamum they need to find out why they are going to Leeds,

NotActuallyAMum Thu 09-Dec-10 10:40:21

They were due to take off from Krakow early evening yesterday but nothing was taking off from there because of bad fog (fair enough) so they were told they'll be leaving today instead but would be landing at Leeds. They're due just before 1pm but no onward travel is being provided. The main thing I can't understand is why they couldn't have flown them back to Birmingham today on the same flight they should have been on yesterday

I haven't spoken to them though (had all this from Dad)

It just doesn't sound right to me. They're going to have to get a bus to Leeds station then train back down here. Does anyone know if they'll be able to claim the fayres (sp?) back?

canyou Thu 09-Dec-10 11:49:30

Get receipts for all expenses and try to claim back, that is very strange though
Did they accept this flt instead of waiting for a Birmingham flt? TBH that would be the only reason I can think of for no transfers being offered but if it is a certain low cost airline then def keep receipts etc and apply for refund and they will get it back [I always have gotten my cash/cost of flt back]

NotActuallyAMum Thu 09-Dec-10 13:37:40

Just found out they were offered a flight to Birmingham - landing at 10pm tomorrow!

canyou, do you think they have a chance of claiming their onward travel costs back? It's Ryanair

PatriciaHolm Thu 09-Dec-10 14:37:51

If they were offered a flight to their original destination but declined it in favour of something else, then no, they won't get any onward costs back - the airline offered them a flight, it's their fault they declined it.

canyou Thu 09-Dec-10 19:06:13

No if they chose to fly earlier rather then wait for the next available flt to original airport they have no come back sorry, it is not just Ryanair policy, They could keep receipts and try their travel insurance though

tb Thu 09-Dec-10 21:07:11

Could try claiming from a credit card company if their tickets cost more than £100 and it was a credit card, not a debit card.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: